Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Dihybrid Crosses Video

Embarrassing as it might be to admit, I forgot how to do dihybrid crosses between freshmen year and now. I did not find the book to be particularly helpful in explaining this, so I found this video:
He uses traits in mice, the grasshopper phenotype and the prune phenotype, to set up a cross. I particularly liked how he explained what happened if the genes were linked (on the same chromosome) and if they were independently assorted. I also liked how he used the pictures of chromosomes to really explain how these crosses occur, very similar to what Dr. Weber did in class. Later on in the video, he goes through what happens when two genes are linked, using a CSP (craniofacial and skeletal malfunction) phenotype that is on the same chromosome as the grasshopper phenotype. He uses the appropriate terminology throughout the video and I appreciated his use of the terms "parental" and "recombinant". Sometimes, Youtube video makers are rather incompetent when it comes to terminology, but thankfully he is not! He also briefly touches on the probability aspects of dihybrid crosses. I also learned something new when at the end of the video he talked about map units and what they measure. The last think I liked about his explanation was how he explained the proper way to write the genotype of the mouse, with regards to the linkages of the genes.

No comments:

Post a Comment