Thursday, February 9, 2012

Nucleotide Excision Repair

While we were talking about the types of repair in class, I was having difficulty picturing how the repair worked. This animation goes through the process of nucleotide excision repair, starting from when base damage is recognized and the multiprotein NER complex forms. Next, helicase unwinds the DNA and the complete complex is created. Afterwards, exonucleases cut the DNA and the fragment is excised. A repair synthesis complex is formed and new DNA is synthesized, which ligase binds to original DNA. After this, DNA returns to its normal configuration. Even though this is only a short animation, I found it useful just to help me picture how nucleotide excision repair worked.

While searching Youtube for actually useful material, I came across this:

Basically, this song is terrible but I found that it actually had accurate information on p53 and its actions as a tumor suppressor gene. The song explains how p53 can respond to genetic mutations and why it is important for the maintenance of "genome integrity". It also connects the topic to cancer, and how defects in p53 can lead to disease. So...just remember that "to keep your genome mutation free is the concentrated passion of p53!"
P.S. I may have posted this because its sorta stuck in my head now in all of its suckishness and I figured that I ought to inflict its damage upon someone else. I am such a philanthropist!

No comments:

Post a Comment